Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever debuted on NBC on May 16, 1983, and became an immediate sensation. The highlight that caused the most talk was Michael Jackson’s world premiere of the moonwalk (aka six seconds that changed the world) but Motown 25 had an abundance of buzzworthy moments—reunions by the Miracles, the Supremes and The Jackson 5; the first battle of the bands between The Temptations and Four Tops; and the hottest comedian in the world at the time, Richard Pryor, as host.
The show deservedly won an Emmy® Award and George Foster Peabody Award among many other honors, but has been unseen for over 20 years...until now, in pristine 5.1 surround sound.
This 3-DVD set features an extended version of Motown 25, with almost 30 minutes of footage never broadcast. Virtually every major Motown artists is spotlighted, including Smokey Robinson, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross, Lionel Richie, Mary Wells, Martha Reeves, Jr. Walker and the Commodores.
The set also contains nearly six hours of bonus features.
- Cast: Adam Ant, Nick Ashford, Dick Clark, Berry Gordy, Michael Jackson, Rick James, The Temptations, The Miracles, Richard Pryor, Martha Reeves, Lionel Richie, Smokey Robinson, Linda Ronstadt, Diana Ross, David Ruffin, Stevie Wonder, The Commodores, The Supremes
- Format: Color, Dolby, DVD, NTSC
- Language: English
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Number of Discs: 3
- Rating: Not Rated
- Label: Time Life Music
- Release Date: 09/30/2014
- Run Time: 450 minutes
- Catalogue #: 30737
- Marvin Gaye rehearsing his masterwork, What's Going On, in a version perhaps as powerful as the one in the NBC Broadcast.
- Motown 25 Roundtable featuring Mowtown 25 producers and performers, taped at the location of the original concert, The Pasadena Civic Auditorium. Among those taking part are Smokey Robinson, Duke Fakir (Four Tops), and Otis Williams (The Temptations).
- Four-featurettes that tell the Behind-the scenes story of the mounting of the historic Motown 25 concert.