Recap: June Auction at Amoeba Hollywood to Benefit My Friend's Place
Recap: June Auction to Benefit My Friend's Place
On Saturday, June 1 we had the mad auction skills of the hilariously droll Matt Ingebretson (yeah, we didn't know how to pronounce it either), who produces his own comedy showcase "Art Fuck" and contributes to Funny Or Die and The Onion. He also has a brand new comedy album Holy Fuck.
This month's auction beneficiary was My Friend's Place, which assists and inspires homeless youth to build self-sufficient lives. Through their nonprofit drop-in resource center and programs in Hollywood, they offer a comprehensive continuum of care, health, educational, and therapeutic services to over 1,700 homeless youth and their children each year. They're a really great organization which is close to our hearts here at Amoeba. And of course, as always, we match any bid so the bid is doubled!
We were also accepting donations of new socks for My Friend’s Place – so it was our own "Sock Hop" – and customers donated socks for a $2.00 off coupon.
We started hosting our charity auctions back in 2005 when Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans and over the years we've raised a ton of money ($450,000 +) for New Orleans, Green charities, Animal charities, Doctors Without Borders and many local organizations. It is a great place to score all kinds of rarities and signed items, as well as concert tickets and crazy promo items.
Matt was addictively funny, with his dry "I don't understand Bjork, do you?" and..."we're all dying!! Dying every single day!! Go to a show already. Buy some tickets to a show! Do something for the youth of LA...buy these tickets!" He was also deceptively wry. Meaning, you didn't even know how funny he was until about a minute after he said something, and then you started laughing out loud. There was a 60 second delay on Matt's dry, deadpan delivery – but it was bitingly hilarious.
As he stood up on the podium on our well-weathered stage, Matt started the bidding with an Urban Outfitters Gift Card and chided the audience for pretending that they didn't buy all their clothes at UO. "You know you do! Don't pretend. I know everyone in Amoeba today has been dressed by Urban Outfitters."
Among other stories and anecdotes about pot brownies and the Natural History Museum, Matt managed to cajole and rattle some high bids as well as smirks and guffaws from the Saturday Amoeba shoppers.
This month's auction item highlights:
* !!! tickets - June 1st at The El Rey $15.00
* Bjork tickets - June 8th at Hollywood Palladium - $40.00
* Twin Shadow tickets - June 29th at the El Rey - $25.00
* Trader Joe's Gift Certificate + vintage lunchbox - $45.00
*Four passes to Natural History Museum of Los Angeles - $15.00
* Brew café gift card + Amoeba coffee mug - $20.00
* Amoeba VIP in-store passes to show of your choice - $ 35.00
* Passes to Sundance Cinemas - $20.00
* Urban Outfitters gift card - $40.00
* Special limited edition Record Store Day surprise pack - $25.00
* Jack White’s Third Man Records rolling record store – rad custom mason jar + beer cozie - $17.00
* Beatles package - $40.00
* Signed book/CD/DVD + 7” from Joseph Gordon Levitt’s HitRECORD collective - $40.00
* Holy Fuck comedy CD - $15.00
* Electronic promo pack: Daft Punk LP and mask + Disclosure “face” window cling - $30.00
* Funny or Die DVD - $15.00
All together the bids totaled $457.00 and with Amoeba's match that means almost a $1,000 for My Friend's Place! With Matt's help, we really DID make a difference to LA's youth! Remember to come by Amoeba on the first Saturday of each month. You never know who you might see, and for only a few bucks you can make a real difference.
Natalie from My Friend's Place picking up the check and the sock donation.