After receiving about four emails and two phone calls since Tuesday asking me "Did you hear? Did you hear that Ian MacKaye was killed?" I decided I should post an Amoeblog to set the record straight in case anyone else out there was still under the wrong impression that the Minor Threat/Fugazi/Dischord
mainman was indeed killed in a car crash Monday night. The rumor appeared on several websites including MySpace
He wasn't killed, as outlined in the reprinted story from the Baltimore Sun
that appeared online Weds morning under the heading Ian MacKaye: I'm not dead.
And if you scroll down below I have posted one of the erroneous "news" reports that was making the rounds online. It is written in such a news-like fashion that you can see why someone reading it would tend to take it at face value.
This is another prime example of just how quickly misinformation can get around in this cyber/digital age and how it is important to always question what you read and to be aware of its news or fact checking source -- if there is any.
STORY BELOW IS REPRINTED FROM BALTIMORE SUN
A phone rings at 6:08 p.m. in Arlington, Va. A 45-year-old man picks up. The
caller doesn't even have the chance to offer a greeting.
"I am still alive," reports Ian MacKaye, the frontman of such punk acts as
Minor Threat and Fugazi, and the founder of Washington's Dischord Records.
This would not be news except that The Sun
and apparently many other
organizations had been told that MacKaye was, in fact, dead. We were told that
he died Monday night at Baltimore's St. Agnes Hospital. A call to the hospital
found no evidence of such a patient. We followed up with calls to Dischord
(left a message) and to MacKaye's home.