On Saturday, February 2 we kicked off "New Orleans Month" at Amoeba Hollywood with a rockin' auction hosted by the inimitable and charming Billy Calhoun. Billy's soothing and unflappable style not only inspired some major bidding, but he deftly and seamlessly dropped some science on all the onlookers about New Orleans and the two foundations we were focusing on (New Orleans Musicians Clinic and Tipitina's Foundation), as well as what we are doing on Amoeba.com and how long we have been doing the charity auctions. People learned a lot while they had fun bidding on really cool items. More than a few customers mentioned that they didn't realize we do these auctions every month, and that they learned a lot from all that Billy had to say. Billy educated folks on our Vinyl Vaults and Louis Armstrong digital restoration, as well as the exclusive release of the Congo Square Project which is an amazing collection of music available only on Amoeba.com.
We had several bidding wars, and Billy effortlessly kept the momentum going and kept people engaged. Here are some of the highlights for today's auction---one of the highest generating auctions we have had in a long while. Way to go Billy!!
- Monkey coffee with Amoeba Mug and Brew gift card - $25.00
- '80s pack of glossies (Culture Club, Sheena Easton, Jody Watley, etc) - $15.00
- Amoeba in-store VIP pass - $55.00
- Patti Smith signed book and poster - $30.00
- Galactic tickets - $15.00
- Allen Toussaint / Dirty Dozen Brass Band at Royce Hall tickets - $45.00
- Mouse on Mars tickets - $15.00
- OFF! tickets with CD - $50.00
- Trader Joe's Gift Card with Sesame Street lunchbox - $60.00
- Record Store Day limited edition mystery bag - $50.00
- Marley stuffins (the 4:20 pack) - $5.60
- Trombone Shorty tickets - $30.00 (each pair)
- Beatles tote bag with Beatles stuff - $46.00
- Quentin Tarantino package (with Sundance passes) - $80.00 !!!
- Backbeat tickets - $25.00 each (two winners)
- Beatles dolls - $50.00
- Ra Ra Riot tickets - $16.00
- Signed Drive by Truckets poster - $10.00 (but then he doubled his contribution!)
- FIDLAR poster, beer cozy and CD - $17.00
All good stuff and all for a total of $694.60 which means, with Amoeba matching the auction's total, we raised almost $1,400.00 for the Tipitina's Foundation and the New Orleans Musicians Clinic! Thanks again Billy and all who helped with this one! See ya for Fat Tuesday!!