3-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Deluxe Edition.
Almost a century after its release, The Birth Of A Nation remains one of the most controversial films ever made . . . a landmark achievement that continues to fascinate and enrage audiences. It is the epic story of two families, one northern and one southern, during and after the Civil War. D. W. Griffith's masterful direction combines brilliant battle scenes and tender romance with a vicious portrayal of African Americans. It was the greatest feature-length blockbuster yet to be produced in the United States, and the first to be shown in the White House. After seeing the film, President Woodrow Wilson declared it was "like writing history with lightning!" In cities and states across the country, the film energized the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), which tried to have the film banned, or at least the most gruesome scenes censored. The film also inspired African Americans to move into filmmaking as a way to offer alternative images and stories.
- Starring: Lillian Gish, Mae Marsh, Henry B. Walthall
- Format: Color, Dolby, DVD, NTSC
- Language: English
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Number of Discs: 3
- Rating: Not Rated
- Label: Kino Lorber
- Release Date: 11/22/2011
- Run Time: 187 minutes
- Catalogue #: 835
- Spoken Introductions by D.W. Griffith and Walter Huston (including the newly rediscovered intermission sequence)
- The Making Of Birth Of A Nation
- Civil War shorts directed by D.W. Griffith: In The Border States, The House With Closed Shutters,The Fugitive His Trust, His Trust Fulfilled, Swords And Hearts and The Battle