In Japanese with English subtitles.
In this poetic and atmospheric horror fable, set in a village in war-torn medieval Japan, a malevolent spirit has been ripping out the throats of itinerant samurai. When a military hero is sent to dispatch the unseen force, he finds that he must struggle with his own personal demons as well. From Kaneto Shindo, director of the terror classic Onibaba, Kuroneko (Black Cat) is a spectacularly eerie twilight tale with a shocking feminist angle, evoked through ghostly special effects and exquisite cinematography.
- Starring: Taiji Tonoyama, Nobuko Otowa, Kei Sato, Kichiemon Nakamura, Hideo Kanze, Taichi Kiwako, Rokka Toura
- Format: Black & White, Dolby, Widescreen
- Language: English
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Number of Discs: 1
- Rating: Not Rated
- Label: The Criterion Collection
- Release Date: 10/18/2011
- Run Time: 99 minutes
- Catalogue #: 584
- Video Interview with Director Kaneto Shindo From The Directors Guild of Japan
- New Video Interview with Film Critic Tadao Sato
- Booklet Featuring An Essay by Film Critic Maitland McDonagh and An Excerpt From Film Scholar Joan Mellen's 1972 Interview With Shindo