Black & white, Full screen version.
Before he became a sensation with the twisty revenge story Memento, Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight) fashioned this low-budget, black-and-white, 16 mm neonoir with comparable precision and cunning. Supplying irrefutable evidence of Nolan's directorial bravura, Following is the fragmented tale of an unemployed young writer who trails strangers through London, hoping that they will provide inspiration for his first novel. He gets more than he bargained for with one of his unwitting subjects, who leads him down a dark, criminal path. With gritty aesthetics and a made-on-the-fly vibe (many shots were simply stolen on the streets, unbeknownst to passersby), Following is a mind-bending psychological journey that shows the remarkable beginnings of one of today's most acclaimed filmmakers.
- Starring: Alex Haw, Lucy Russell, Jeremy Theobald
- Format: DVD, NTSC
- Language: English
- Number of Discs: 1
- Rating: R
- Label: The Criterion Collection
- Run Time: 70 minutes
- Catalogue #: 2210
- Audio commentary by Nolan
- New interview with Nolan
- Side-by-side comparison of the shooting script with three scenes from the film
- Doodlebug (1997), a three-minute film by Nolan, starring Following's Jeremy Theobald
- An essay by film critic and programmer Scott Foundas