2-Disc Special Edition.
One of the greatest artistic and technical achievements of the German silent cinema. Fritz Lang's, Die Nibelungen is a passionate retelling of Nordic legend, invested with all the resources of the colossal Ufa Studios.
Scripted by Lang and his wife Thea von Harbou (who later collaborated on Metropolis), and originally released as two separate features, the saga begins by constructing an enchanted kingdom populated by dragons, magical trolls, and heroic figures defined by rigid codes of honor. In the long-underrated second half, the death of Siegfried causes fantasy to devolve into nightmare, as his beloved Kriemhild enacts a vengeance that contaminates everyone in its path - a vengeance as ferocious and uncompromising as anything the cinema has ever depicted.
This edition is mastered in HD from the extensive 35mm restoration conducted by Friendrich-Wilhlem-Murnau-Stiftung, completed in 2012.
- Starring: Theodor Loos, Hanna Ralph, Margarete Schoen, Rudolf Klein-Rogge, Hans Adalbert Schlettow, Paul Richter
- Format: Black & White (Color Tinted), Dolby
- Subtitles: English, German
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Number of Discs: 2
- Rating: Not Rated
- Label: Kino Lorber
- Release Date: 11/06/2012
- Run Time: 280 minutes
- Catalogue #: 1086
- Feature length documentary The Legacy of Die Nibelungen
- Newsreel Footage Of Fritz Lang On The Set Of Die Nibelungen