In Italian with optional English subtitles.
Shot on location with a cast of nonprofessional actors, Vittorio De Sica's neorealist masterpiece follows Umberto D., an elderly pensioner, as he struggles to make ends meet during Italy's postwar economic boom. Alone except for his dog, Flike, Umberto strives to maintain his dignity while trying to survive in a city where traditional human kindness seems to have lost out to the forces of modernization. Umberto's simple quest to fulfill the most fundamental human needs - food, shelter, companionship - is one of the most heartbreaking stories ever filmed and an essential classic of world cinema.
- Starring: Memmo Carotenuto, Carlo Battisti, Maria Pia Casilio, Lina Gennari
- Format: Black & White, Dolby, DVD, NTSC
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Number of Discs: 1
- Rating: Not Rated
- Label: The Criterion Collection
- Release Date: 07/22/2003
- Run Time: 89 minutes
- Catalogue #: 201
- That's Life: Vittoria de Sica, a 55-minute documentary made for Italian television in 2001
- New video interview with actress Maria Pia Casilio
- New essay by critic Stuart Klawans and reprinted recollections on the film by De Sica
- Writings on Umberto D. by Umberto Eco, Luisa Alessandri, and Carlo Battisti