In Italian with optional English subtitles.
This neorealist masterpiece by Vittorio De Sica follows an elderly pensioner as he strives to make ends meet during Italy's postwar economic recovery. Alone except for his dog, Flike, Umberto struggles to maintain his dignity in a city where human kindness seems to have been swallowed up by the forces of modernization. His simple quest to satisfy his basic needs - food, shelter, companionship - makes for one of the most heartbreaking stories ever filmed, and an essential classic of world cinema.
- Starring: Memmo Carotenuto, Carlo Battisti, Maria Pia Casilio, Lina Gennari
- Format: Black & White, Dolby, DVD, NTSC
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Number of Discs: 1
- Rating: Not Rated
- Label: The Criterion Collection
- Release Date: 07/22/2003
- Run Time: 89 minutes
- Catalogue #: 201
- That's Life: Vittoria de Sica, a 55-minute documentary made for Italian television in 2001
- New video interview with actress Maria Pia Casilio
- New essay by critic Stuart Klawans and reprinted recollections on the film by De Sica
- Writings on Umberto D. by Umberto Eco, Luisa Alessandri, and Carlo Battisti