It's the work of the Devil. That's what some say when a bizarre series of deaths strikes a 14th-century monastery. Others find links between the deaths and the book of Revelation. But Brother William of Baskerville thinks otherwise. He intends to find a murderer by using fact and reason - the tools of heresy.
Best Actor British Academy Award winner Sean Connery is wily William in this compelling adaptation of Umberto Eco's bestseller. Christian Slater plays Adso, aide to the sleuthing cleric and a youth on the verge of sexual and intellectual awakening. F. Murray Abraham is arrogance incarnate as the Inquisitor. Director Jean-Jacques Annaud filmed this moody mystery at an actual 12th-century monastery where hooded faces loom like gargoyles.
- Starring: Sean Connery, F. Murray Abraham, Ron Perlman, William Hickey, Christian Slater, Valentina Vargas, Michael Lonsdale
- Format: Color, Dolby, DVD, NTSC, Widescreen
- Language: English
- Aspect Ratio: 1.85.1
- Number of Discs: 1
- Rating: R
- Label: Warner Bros.
- Run Time: 130 minutes
- Catalogue #: 37465
- Vintage making-of documentary The Abbey of Crime: Umberto Eco's The Name Of The Rose
- Commentary by Director Jean-Jacques Annaud
- All-new Photo Video Journey with Jean-Jacques Annaud