The legendary Gilbert And Sullivan troupe the D'Oyly Carte Opera Company joined forces with Hollywood for this 1939 Technicolor version of the fabled comic opera, the first complete work by the famed duo to be adapted for the screen, directed by musician and Oscar®-nominated filmmaker Victor Schertzinger (One Night Of Love, Road To Singapore). The result is a lavish cinematic retelling of the British political satire set in exotic Japan, with such enduringly popular numbers as "A Wandering Minstrel I" and "Three Little Maids from School Are We," and featuring performances by American singer Kenny Baker as well as a host of renowned D'Oyly Carte actors, including Martyn Green and Sydney Granville.
- Starring: Kenny Baker, Martyn Green, Sydney Granville, John Barclay, Gregory Stroud
- Format: Color, Dolby
- Language: English
- Aspect Ratio: 1.77:1
- Number of Discs: 1
- Rating: Not Rated
- Label: The Criterion Collection
- Release Date: 03/29/2011
- Run Time: 91 minutes
- Catalogue #: 559
- New Video Interviews with Topsy-Turvy Director Mike Leigh and Mikado Scholars Josephine Lee and Ralph MacPhail Jr.
- Short Silent Film Promoting the D'Oyly Carte Opera Company's 1926 Stage Performance of The Mikado
- Deleted Scene with Ko-Ko's I've Got a Little List Song
- Excerpts from 1939 Radio Broadcasts of the Stage Productions The Swing Mikado and The Hot Mikado
- A Booklet Featuring An Essay by Critic Geoffrey O'Brien