American director Joshua Marston broke out in 2004 with his jolting, Oscar-nominated Maria Full of Grace, about a young Colombian woman working as a drug mule. In his remarkable follow-up, The Forgiveness of Blood, he turns his camera on another corner of the world: contemporary northern Albania, a place still troubled by the ancient custom of interfamilial blood feuds. From this reality, Marston sculpts a fictional narrative about a teenage brother and sister physically and emotionally trapped in a cycle of violence, a result of their father's entanglement with a rival clan over a piece of land. The Forgiveness of Blood is a tense and perceptive depiction of a place where tradition and progress have an uneasy coexistence, as well as a dynamic coming-of-age drama.
- Starring: Refet Abazi, Tristan Halilaj, Sindi Lacej, Ilire Vinca Celaj
- Format: Color, Dolby, DVD, Widescreen
- Language: English, Spanish
- Aspect Ratio: 1.85.1
- Number of Discs: 1
- Rating: Not Rated
- Label: The Criterion Collection
- Run Time: 109 minutes
- Catalogue #: 2190
- Audio commentary featuring director and cowriter Joshua Marston, Two new video programs: Acting Close to Home, a discussion between Marston and actors Refet Abazi, Tristan Halilaj, and Sindi Laçej, and Truth on the Ground, featuring new and on-set interviews with Mezey, Abazi, Halilaj, and Laçej, Audition & rehearsal footage, PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film writer Oscar Moralde.