In Japanese with English subtitles.
When an idealistic governor disobeys the reigning feudal lord, he is cast into exile, his wife and children left to fend for themselves and eventually wrenched apart by vicious slave traders. Under the dazzling direction of Kenji Mizoguchi's dazzling direction , this classic Japanese story became one of cinema's greatest masterpieces, a monumental, empathetic expression of human resilience in the face of evil.
- Starring: Yoshiaki Hanayagi, Kinuyo Tanaka, Kyoko Kagawa
- Format: Black & White, DVD, NTSC
- Language: English
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Number of Discs: 1
- Rating: Not Rated
- Label: The Criterion Collection
- Run Time: 124 minutes
- Catalogue #: 2227
- Audio commentary by Japanese-literature professor Jeffrey Angles
- Video interviews with critic Tadao Sato, assistant director Tokuzo Tanaka, and legendary actress Kyoko Kagawa, on the making of the film and its lasting importance
- A book featuring an essay by film writer Mark Le Fanu and two versions of the story on which the film was based: Ogai Mori’s 1915 “Sansho Dayu” and a written form of an earlier oral variation
- Two Versions Of The Story On Which The Film Is Based: Ogai Mori's 1915 "Sansho The Steward" and An Earlier Oral Variation In Written Form