In Italian with English subtitles. New, restored high-definition digital transfer and uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition.
Michelangelo Antonioni's 1960s panoramas of contemporary alienation were decade-defining artistic events, and Red Desert, his first color film, remains one of his greatest. This provocative look at the spiritual desolation of the technological age - about a disaffected woman, brilliantly portrayed by Antonioni muse Monica Vitti (L'avventura), wandering through a bleak industrial landscape beset by power plants and environmental toxins, and tentatively flirting with her husband's coworker, played by Richard Harris (This Sporting Life) - continues to exert force over viewers. With one startling, painterly composition after another - of abandoned fishing cottages, electrical towers, overwhelming docked ships - Red Desert creates a nearly apocalyptic image of its time, and confirms Antonioni as cinema's preeminent poet of the modern age.
- Starring: Monica Vitti, Richard Harris, Carlo Chionetti, Xenia Valderi, Valerio Bartoleschi
- Format: Color, Dolby, Widescreen
- Language: English
- Aspect Ratio: 1.85.1
- Number of Discs: 1
- Rating: Not Rated
- Label: The Criterion Collection
- Release Date: 06/22/2010
- Run Time: 117 minutes
- Catalogue #: 522
- Audio commentary by Italian film scholar David Forgacs
- Archival video interviews with Michelangelo Antonioni and actress Monica Vitti
- Outtakes from the film's production
- A booklet featuring an essay by film historian Mark Le Fanu, an interview with Antonioni by Jean-Luc Godard and a reprinted essay by Antonioni on his use of color