In French with English subtitles.
A French comedy master whose films went unseen for decades as a result of legal tangles, director-actor Pierre Etaix is a treasure the cinematic world has rediscovered and taken up with relish. His work can be placed in the spectrum of classic physical comedy with that of Jacques Tati and Jerry Lewis, but it also stands alone. These films, influenced by Etaix's experiences as a circus acrobat and clown and by the silent film comedies he adored, are elegantly deadpan, but as an on-screen presence, Etaix radiates warmth. This collection includes all of his films, including five features, The Suitor (1962), Yoyo (1965), As Long as You've Got Your Health (1966), Le grand amour (1969), and Land of Milk and Honey (1971)-most of them collaborations with the great screenwriter Jean-Claude Carrière (The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie)-and three shorts, Rupture (1961), the Oscar-winning Happy Anniversary (1962), and Feeling Good (1966). Not one of these is anything less than a bracing and witty delight.
- Starring: Claudine Auger, Laurence Ligneres
- Format: Black & White, Color, Widescreen
- Language: English
- Aspect Ratio: 1.77:1
- Number of Discs: 1
- Rating: Not Rated
- Label: The Criterion Collection
- Run Time: 413 minutes
- Catalogue #: 2254
- New interview with director Pierre Etaix
- New video introductions by Etaix to seven of the films
- Pierre Etaix, un destin anime (2010), a portrait of the life and work of Etaix
- A booklet featuring an essay by critic David Cairns