Recap: March Charity Auction at Amoeba Hollywood to Benefit New Orleans
Recap: March Charity Auction
Amoeba Hollywood was the place to be on a rainy Los Angeles afternoon in March. Our pal, Brently Heilbron, made for the most hilarious stream-of-pop-consciousness hour ever! And it was all for a cause that has special meaning to us as we were raising money for two New Orleans charities.
Our March charity auction benefitted the ongoing work still needed in New Orleans via two amazing organizations, Tipitina's Foundation and the New Orleans Musicians Assistance Foundation (NOMAF). Their services grew even more vital out of the damage done during Hurricane Katrina and they both continue to do great work with and for the musicians in New Orleans. The rich musical and cultural heritage of New Orleans is a unique part of the core of American music--from Jazz to Rock and Roll; from Country to Hip-Hop. We encourage you to learn more about what they do and the musicians they've helped.
Mr. Heilbron, the original host (and originator) of our charity auctions, made a triumphant return appearance at our auction on Saturday, March 1, sending the rain-drenched onlookers into peels of laughter with his random delightful musings. Musings about such things as the political and social impact of the greatest movie of all time (Goonies) and the best band of all time (Spin Doctors) and everything in between. His encyclopedic knowledge of music and pop culture made for grins and giggles as he regaled the crowd and hyped up a slew of wonderful items. The crowd ate it up!
As always, 100% of the auction proceeds go directly to the charities - and Amoeba matches all winning bids!
Items on the auction block included:
* Tickets for Gary Numan at The Mayan March 6 - $40.00
* Urban Outfitters gift certificate with John Denver bag - $55.00
* Tickets for The National at The Ahrine March 25 - $40.00
* Trader Joe’s gift certificate in a Scooby Doo lunchbox - $60.00
* Hubert’s Lemonade Gift Basket including a turntable - $90.00
* Special New Orleans items direct from Tipitina’s - $100.
* Limited edition Amoeba Converse shoes - $40.00
* Coyote Ugly frisbee - $2.00
* Tickets for Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings at The Wiltern March 25 - $45.00
* Led Zeppelin coasters - $1.50
* Daft Punk masks - $4.00
* Return of the Jedi original lunchbox - $75.00
* Scorpions t-shirt - $15.00
* Goonies trading cards - $10.00
* Tickets for Franz Ferdinand at The Wiltern April 29 - $60.00
* Wizard of Oz package - $25.00
* Spin Doctors vintage original t-shirt - $12.00
* MF Doom lunchbox - $30.00
All of that went for a whopping total of $840.00 which, when doubled by Amoeba, means $1,680.00 for NOLA!! Thanks so much to Brently for making his way out here from Austin, TX and doin' the auction proud.
A little more about Brently. He is beyond just a great stand-up comedian, he is a purveyor of "irony" and brings hoopla and merriment wherever he goes. He is a force. He has been performing and touring since the age of 15. Born to be on stage. He has emceed for Paul McCartney, Dr. John, and the Mighty Boosh, and has worked with notables like Woody Allen, George Takei, Daniel Johnston, and Dolemite in his long, strange trip of a career.
It is Mardi Gras week and in addition to our annual awesome Fat Tuesday celebration, everything you bought at Amoeba and on Amoeba.com on March 4th also helped send much needed support to New Orleans!
Thanks so much to all who donated gifts and prizes and all who came out to bid! See ya for the next auction on May 3rd which will benefit Sweet Relief.