In Japanese with English subtitles.
In the Realm of the Senses, by the always provocative Japanese director Nagisa Oshima, remains one of the most controversial films of all time. Based on a true incident, it graphically depicts the all-consuming, transcendent - but ultimately destructive - love of a man and a woman living in an era of ever escalating imperialism and governmental control. Less a work of pornography than of politics, In the Realm of the Senses is a brave, taboo-breaking milestone, still censored in its own country.
- Starring: Eiko Matsuda, Tatsuya Fuji
- Format: Color, Widescreen
- Language: English
- Aspect Ratio: 1.66:1
- Number of Discs: 1
- Rating: Not Rated
- Label: The Criterion Collection
- Run Time: 102 minutes
- Catalogue #: 1808
- New audio commentary with film scholar Tony Rayns
- New interview with actor Tatsuya Fuji
- A 1976 interview with director Nagisa Oshima and actors Fuji and Eiko Matsuda, and a 2003 program featuring interviews with consulting producer Hayao Shibata, line producer, Koji Wakamatsu, assistant director Yoichi Sai, and film distributor Yoko Asakura
- Deleted footage
- A booklet featuring a new essay by Japanese film scholar Donald Richie and a reprinted interview with Oshima