New, restored transfer of director Michael Cimino’s cut of the film, supervised by Cimino.
A breathtaking depiction of the promise and perils of America's western expansion, Heaven's Gate, directed by Michael Cimino, is among Hollywood's most ambitious and unorthodox epics. Kris Kristofferson brings his weathered sensuality to the role of a Harvard graduate who relocates to Wyoming as a federal marshal; there, he learns of a government-sanctioned plot by cattle barons to kill the area's European settlers for their land. The resulting battle is based on the bloody real-life Johnson County War of 1892. Also starring Isabelle Huppert and Christopher Walken, Heaven's Gate is a savage and ravishingly shot take on western movie lore. This release presents the full director's cut, letting viewers today see Cimino's potent original vision.
- Starring: Kris Kristofferson, Christopher Walken, Isabelle Huppert, John Hurt, Sam Waterston, Brad Dourif
- Format: Color, Dolby, DVD, Widescreen
- Language: English
- Aspect Ratio: 2.40:1
- Number of Discs: 2
- Rating: Not Rated
- Label: The Criterion Collection
- Run Time: 216 minutes
- Catalogue #: 2204
- Audio Interview With Cimino And Producer Joann Carelli
- Interviews With Actor Kris Kristofferson, Soundtrack Arranger and Performer David Mansfiled, And Second Assistant Director Michael Stevenson
- Restoration Demonstration
- Booklet Featuring An Essay By Critic And Programmer Giulia D'Agnolo Vallan and a 1980 Interview With Cimino
- The Johnson County War, a video interview with historian Bill O’Neal about the real-life conflict that inspired the film, and its resonance in popular culture