On Saturday, October 6 we held our monthly charity auction hosted by comedian Ryan Stout who did a fabulous job of inspiring and cajoling the audience into some great bids, all while making people laugh out loud. This month's auction benefited Beagle Freedom Project, an organization that rescues beagles used in animal experimentation in research laboratories. We also held a dog adoption event on Sunday, October 7 with Beagle Freedom Project and some pretty adorable dogs.
But back to the auction. Mr. Stout was quick, clever, personable and hard to resist.
"C'mon...It's for the dogs! Everyone cares about dogs. BEAGLES for chrissakes - AMERICA'S DOG! "
The bids started with a green tag DVD Season 2 of Flight of the Conchords (with poster) at $5.00 and then we were off and running.
Here are the rest of the highlights:
- Herbie Hancock signed vinyl LP - $15.00
- Flying Lotus tickets - $30.00
- The XX tickets - $80.00 (!!)
- Record Store Day grab bag - $115.00 (!!!!)
- Trader Joe's gift card and lunchbox - $60.00
- SBTRKT tickets - $60.00 (!!)
- Darkness tickets - $25.00
- P.I.L. tickets - $30.00
- Bob Mould tickets - $30.00
- Doctor Who Blu-ray - $10.00
- Amoeba VIP in-store pass - $60.00
- Social Distortion tickets - $60.00
- Portlandia DVD signed by Fred Armisen (with Wallflowers tickets) - $45.00
All together Mr. Stout garnered $625.00 in bids which, with our matching, means we raised $1250.00 for the Beagle Freedom Project! It can be very challenging to get folks to bid big money on random things in a 30 minute window. You never know if that Social D fan will be in the house, or if that crazy Doctor Who fan will be nearby, but Ryan was able to get folks to bid and this month's auction was a great success!