On January 5, we had our very first auction of 2013, with the inimitable hurricane orator, Don Barris, who managed to rock, rattle and cajole bids out of unsuspecting Saturday Amoeba shoppers. Even though it came on the heels of people being broke from the holidays they still reached down deep and gave, mainly because Don was so damn funny. And his determination to beat his last auction totals helped to keep the competitive spirit going at full throttle. It was raucous and rollicking - and a great success with all of this month's proceeds benefiting the Rainforest Action Network.
Here are some of the key highlights from the day:
- Herbie Hancock signed LP with Patti Smith signed book (and Madonna postcards!!) - $50.00
- Bow Wow Wow / Midge Ure tickets - $15.00
- Ra Ra Riot / Mouse on Mars tickets - $20.00
- Jimmy Kimmel Live! VIP tickets - $110.00
- Record Store Day special limited edition package - $50.00
- Trader Joe's Gift Card with Jimmy Kimmel lunchbox - $110.00
- Signed Cat Power poster / headphones / action figures - $20.00
- Bob Marley pack - $10.00
- Pink Floyd pack - $12.00
- Beatles bag with Beatles trinkets - $40.00
- Monkey & Son organic coffee with Amoeba mug - $20.00
- Amoeba in-store VIP ticket - $42.00
All together Don helped raise $526.00 in bids, which means a total of $1,052.00 for our friends at the Rainforest Action Network. We have been working with the good folks at RAN since we opened our first store in Berkeley in 1990. We share concern about the dwindling rainforests and the global environmental impact and we are thankful for the work they do each year.