The first 5,000 copies of the reissue will each come in “the hue that personifies that album character,” One Little Indian says. After that, the imprint will issue the LPs on black vinyl.
So just which hue is Debut? What cula’ is Medulla? Check out the descriptions below for each album, which you can preorder now (I didn’t write these, assuming Bjork did):
Debut (1993) [Beige]
shy beginner humility virgin beige silver mohair the messenger
Post (1995) [Pink]
greedy euphoric absorb promiscuity urban pink
Homogenic (1997) [Green]
Blues-rock rivivalists The Black Keys have been on a steady climb to the top. In 2010, the band saw mainstream success with their sixth studio album Brothers (Nonesuch). From Billboard Top 20 singles and commercial placement to constant radio play and GRAMMY wins, The Black Keys have been everywhere! On their eighth full-length release, Turn Blue (Nonesuch, 2014), the duo once again teamed up with longtime producer Danger Mouse. The album boasts 11 solid tracks of catchy blues infused rock that remind us how great Danger Mouse and the Keys work together. The band was just recently nominated for Best Rock Song ("Fever") and Best Rock Album (Turn Blue) at the upcoming 2015 GRAMMY Awards.
Patrick Carney recently spent time with two very lucky fans (pictured above) at Amoeba Hollywood, picking out some of his favorite records for them as part of a radio contest for Alt 98.7FM. He tells a hilarious story about hearing Led Zeppelin for the first time after buying a Vanilla Ice record, how trying to rip off a Can beat led to the band's first hit record, and so much more. Watch the full episode below for all of Patrick's picks.
Our Best Of 2014 extravaganza ain’t quite over yet. Here’s a list of 20 excellent records that were reissued on vinyl this year. (Out of stock? Add the item to your wishlist and we’ll notify you when we have it in.)
Erykah Badu’s second album is a neo-soul touchstone that represents her transition from her earlier work to her wilder 2000’s output. Features the hit “Bag Lady.”
The mother of all rock bands/albums. The Beatles’ albums (all of which are pretty much essential) were reissued on vinyl this year. You gotta own this one on mono vinyl, the way it’s meant to be heard.
On Saturday, November 1 we had an amazing charity auction at Amoeba Hollywood featuring a repeat appearance by comedian Jimmy Pardo as our illustrious guest auctioneer! We were raising funds for Smile Train, an organization that provides free cleft repair surgeries to those in need while helping to train local doctors. This makes it possible for a child born with cleft to eat, breathe, speak properly, and smile.
Jimmy Pardo is host of the top-rated podcast "Never Not Funny," and a recurring guest on Conan and Comedy Bang Bang. He has his own half-hour "Comedy Central Presents" special and has recorded three comedy albums: Uno, Pompous Clown and 2013’s Sprezzatura, which Entertainment Weekly named one of the 5 Best Stand-Up Albums of the year.
Jimmy did a bang-up job as usual, making people giggle and guffaw while driving the bids to new levels. His timing is impeccable and his one-liners irresistible. The crowd was way into it, and the folks showed up with their wallets and pocketbooks open. And when they weren't quite open enough, he helped pry them open with quippity quips. It was a really great time.
Highlights of some of the items on the auction block:
- Tickets to see Yo Gabba Gabba! at Shrine Auditorium Nov. 22 + kids fun pack - $35.00
- Beatles pack with lithos, t-shirt, mugs & more - $30.00
- 2 pairs of VIP tickets to a Conan O'Brien taping - $60 each
- Led Zeppelin pack - $65.00!!
- Primus & the Chocolate Factory pack ("just in time for HALLOWEEN") $40
- Tickets to Mike Birbiglia at the Wilshire Ebell Theater Dec. 6 - $90.00!!
- Tickets to Mac DeMarco at the Fonda Nov. 10th - $40.00
- VIP in-store front of the line pass - $40.00
- $50 Trader Joe’s gift card + vintage lunchbox - $70.00
- $50 Urban Outfitters gift card + a limited edition One Direction picture disc - $50.00
- Jimmy Pardo's own Mystery Box of handpicked CDs - $60.00
- Dog lover’s gift basket featuring a $25 gift card to Tailwaggers pet store, toys & treats - $15.00
- Amoeba coffee mug with coffee cards - $35.00
- Random bag of promo t-shirts - $45.00
- Michael Jackson transfers - $6.00
- Bob Marley poster with button pack and postcard - $10.00