Amoeba Music San Francisco Hip-Hop Top Six: 08:21:09 (c/o Luis)
1) Gas Mask Colony Genuine Masters of Ceremony (Gurp City)
2) The Boy Boy Young Mess Prices On My Head Vol. 2 (Click Clack Records)
3) J-Billion The Beautiful Loser (Risky Bizness Productions)
4) Kaz-Well FIsh Outta Water (Tape Vault Records)
5) Heliocentrics Fallen Angels (Now Again)
6) Slaughterhouse self-titled (E1 Entertainment)
As my man Luis @ Amoeba Music San Francisco points out in his quick run-down of the new hip-hop top six CDs of the week, two thirds are Bay Area homegrown releases, proving the Bay (and SF in particular these days) is in a most healthy and prolific state of rap creativity. In the number one chart position is Gurp City's own Gas Mask Colony with the brand new full-length Genuine Masters of Ceremony. Also repping the Bay is Messy Marv under his alias The Boy Boy Young Mess and his second installment in the mixtape series Prices On My Head (The Money On Yo Family) Vol 2 with an impressive lineup that includes guests Lil Wayne, Gucci Mane, Young Jeezy & Lil Webbie. Meantime, SF rap artist Kaz-Well -- self described “hip-hop geek" -- has a nice retro hip-hop feel to his brand new CD Fish Outta Water which, note, is titled exactly the same as the new release from SoCal hip-hopper Chali 2na. Great minds think alike, I guess.