On Saturday, August 8th, I had the pleasure of guest deejaying on Travel Tips For Aztlan on KPFK 90.7 FM in Los Angeles. Travel Tips is one of L.A.'s longest running Latin Alternative radio programs. My co-host, Mari G., and I filled in for regular hosts Mark Torres and Mariluz Gonzalez, who took a much-needed Saturday night off. Hopefully we will do more fill-in spots for Mark and Mariluz in the future, as Mari G. and I have plenty of music to share. So, what did we play? We played lots of Cumbia, both traditional and remixes. We played a boat load of Toy Selectah remixes and Bersa Discos tracks. We played music from Mexico that is sadly not out in the U.S.
Below is our set list from that night. I marked certain releases that Amoeba Hollywood currently has in stock, just in case you would like to pick up a copy for yourself.
1. Das Pop - "Underground" (Busy P Remix)
2. Quantic & his Combo Barbaro - "Un Canto a Mi Tierra" (from the Traditions in Transition CD/LP)
3. Banda de Turistas - "Un Verdadero Cajon de Madera"
4. Quiero Club - "Minutos de Aire"
5. Tontelas - "En Do" (from The Greatest Hits Of G.A.M.M. vol II)
6. Sabo & S.O.S. – "Colegiala Dub" (from the Sol Selectas #7 12”)
7. Los Angeles Azules vs. Sonidero Nacional - "Como Te Voy A Olvidar"
8. Grupo Mojado - "Tonta" (Mexican Dubwiser Remix) btw..."Mexican Dubweiser" -- Mix CD coming soon to Amoeba Hollywood!!!
9. Tzochitl Soundsystem vs. Toy Selectah - "Ay Guey" (from The Bersa Discos #5 12") (background music: Sonido Principe – "Cartagena")
10. Dj Lengua - "Cumbia Squares" (from his self-titled 12”)
11. Henry Castro - "Cumbia Colombiana"
12. Rodger Mas - "Cumbia Bonita" (from his 7” on Club Unicornio Records)
13. Devandra Banhart – "Carmensita" (Toy Selectah Raverton Remix) (background music: Poncho Kingz - "Space Cumbia" (Sonidero Nacional Remix)