WOW! What a ride Saturday was, with the incomparable Don Barris (Windy City Heat, Big 3 Podcast, Jimmy Kimmel Live) hosting our October Auction at Amoeba Hollywood. We began hosting charity auctions in 2005 when Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans and since then, with your help, we've raised over $450,000 for New Orleans Musician Relief, green charities, animal charities, Doctors Without Borders and many local organizations.
October is "Adopt a Shelter Dog Month" so this month's auction proceeds went to NKLA, a coalition of animal welfare organizations, city shelters and individuals led by Best Friends Animal Society which is dedicated to ending the killing of healthy and treatable pets in L.A. city shelters. They provide spay/neuter services where they are needed most so fewer animals go into shelters, and increase adoptions through the combined efforts of the NKLA coalition so more animals come out of the shelters and go into new homes. Stay tuned for our other events in October, including a pet adoption at the Hollywood store on Sunday, October 27th.
This month's guest auctioneer, our good friend Don Barris, has a unique brand of comedy unlike most other comics, making him the Comedy Store's perfect closing act every night. He was the co-creater/star of the cult classic film, Windy City Heat, which was developed in the Comedy Store's Belly Room. The show is now called The Ding-Dong Show and it continues every Monday night as it has since 1992, making it the longest running show in the club's history. Don can also be seen nightly as the audience warm-up for ABC's Jimmy Kimmel Live.
Always entertaining, Don was on fire on Saturday and he helped make this auction one of the top earners for the year. He cajoled, heckled and made the folks laugh. They were definitely riveted as he auctioned off everything from Justin Timberlake underwear to Slayer tickets!
- VIP tickets to Jimmy Kimmel Live taping for 4 - $40.00
- Windy City Weekend (celebrating 10th anniversary of Windy City Heat) - $70.00 !!
- STRFKR at Avalon Oct. 22 - $40.00
- Laura Marling at Immanuel Presbyterian Oct. 21 - $30.00
- Animal Collective at The Wiltern Oct. 21 - $30.00
- $50 Urban Outfitters gift card - $55.00
- 2 passes to Natural History Museum of Los Angeles - $20.00
- Beatles gift pack - $50.00
- James Blake at the Wiltern Oct. 22 - $30.00
- Slayer at Hollywood Palladium Oct. 28 - $50.00
- Signed David Lynch poster - $25.00
- Avett Brothers tickets - $35.00
- Empire of the Sun at Shrine Auditorium Oct. 31 (Halloween!) - $30.00
- Flaming Lips / Tame Impala at Santa Barbara Bowl Nov. 1 - $100.00
- Coffee Pack (Coffee Bean Gift Card + Amoeba mug) - $20.00
- $50 Trader Joe's Gift Certificate + Barbie vintage lunchbox - $45.00
As always, Amoeba matches all winning bid amounts and 100% goes directly to the beneficiary. Thanks to Don and all our wonderful customers we raised more than $1,400.00 on Saturday for Best Friends/NKLA!
Remember, Amoeba's monthly charity auctions happen on the first Saturday of every month. The next auction date is Saturday, November 2nd -- the perfect time to stock up on unique and cool gift items -- and will be hosted by guest auctioneers Matt Walsh and other members of the Upright Citizens Brigade. Should be a great time!