Don't tell me you don't know about comedian Kurt Braunholer?? He's been seen on BUNK (IFC), Chelsea Lately, Bob’s Burgers (FOX), Delocated (Adult Swim), Comedy Central Presents, Jon Benjamin Has a Van (Comedy Central), The Heart She Holler (Adult Swim), Assy McGee (Adult Swim) and Human Giant (MTV). He can also be heard on the radio on This American Life, telling a story which he is currently developing for television for HBO.
Kurt was recently named one of Variety’s “10 Comics To Watch.” He’s also featured in Time Out New York's list of 50 Funniest New Yorkers, named as a "Comic to Watch" by Comedy Central, the New York Comedy Festival and TimeOut NY, as well as “Best Male Stand-Up” by the ECNY and “Best Unscripted Host” by the New York Television Festival. The man is funny!!
People came out to bid on concert tickets, gift certificates, collectibles, a special Kill Rock Stars “Kurt Pack” and so much more. The store was abuzz, and the heated bidding wars drove the temperature even higher than the record-breaking Los Angeles heatwave. Kurt is a natural at making people laugh while they dig deep in their pockets. Plus, he was a smooth criminal when it came to sliding the bids up and up and up...
"C'mon...people...let's make it a clean hundred!! C'mon, we're almost there!"
"This ain't no dollar store! Let's go people!"
Proceeds from this month's auction benefited Free Arts For Abused Children - a volunteer organization that has brought arts programs to abused, neglected and homeless children for more than 30 years. And this auction comes on the heels of a month-long awareness campaign for Free Arts through Elliott Smith's friends and family.
- Nick Cave signed LP - $35.00
- Tickets to Vampire Weekend w/Beirut at the Hollywood Bowl 9/28 - $70.00
- Tickets to M83 at the Hollywood Bowl 9/22 - $95.00 !!!!
- Coffee Pack - $20
- Coffee Bean Gift Card + Amoeba mug! - $20.00
- KISS car with Star Wars figures - $15.00
- Urban Outfitters Gift Certificate - $35.00 "Get yourself some stringlights with this Urban Outfitters Gift Card! You know you need them..." - $50.00
- Trader Joe’s Gift Certificate and Lunch Box - $55.00 (thanks again to regular auction supporter JON)
- Tickets for The xx at the Hollywood Bowl on 9/29 - $75.00
- Tickets for Savages at the Fonda 9/30 - $30.00
- Natural History Museum passes (4) - $60.00
- Country music t-shirt pack - $20.00
- House of Blues Gospel Brunch - $65.00
- John Denver tote bag with Yo Gabba Gabba! and Yellow Submarine stuff - $15.00
- Tickets to Cold War Kids at the Wiltern - $30.00
- Third Man Records tote + goodies and more fun stuff!! - $20.00
- Peter Frampton picture disc and mystery prize - $20.00
- Tickets to the sold out Godspeed You Black Emperor show at the Fonda - $50.00
- Mr. T Trucker hat filled with crazy buttons and patches - $15.00 (to Mr. Braunholer himself)
- Kill Rock Starts rad pack! (vinyl test pressings of Sleater Kinney Dig Me Out and Free Kitten Sentimental Education, Kurt Braunohler CD + sweat towel) - $100.00 "Another clean hundred!"
- Domo backpack and Gold Panda tickets - $25.00
- Amoeba VIP in-store pass - $60.00
It was a rockin' good time, and....as Time Out London says, "Braunohler's brand of humour is insane, life-affirming, silly and above all hugely enjoyable." The best part is every dollar goes to help change a kid's life!
Free Arts Organization helps our most vulnerable children with the philosophy that art (and music) heals. They do all forms of art including photography, painting, poetry and even things that DON'T start with a "P" like jewelry-making, music, stop-motion animation, video editing, origami and so much more. To witness a child respond, by creating art and expressing herself, is truly inspirational. All of our bidders on Saturday made that possible for a few more kids who are abused or homeless or otherwise in need of support and a language out of the dark. People bid $880.00, so with Amoeba's match we raised $1,760.00 (in addition to the $1200.00 raised during the Elliott Smith proceeds for the month). Yes! Good stuff!
Thanks to Hayley and Trevi from Free Arts Organization for being here with us and to Kurt for his stupendous efforts!