On Saturday, April 6th, we had comedian Dave Ross as our guest auctioneer for April's charity auction benefiting Silverlake Conservatory. He auctioned off a crazy array of items, from movie and music collectibles to concert tickets and gift certificates. And as always, Amoeba matched all individual bids.
Dave Ross is a stand-up comedian and storyteller in Los Angele. He is the creator of the wildly successful Holy F*ck comedy show and a MOTH GrandSlam winner. You might have seen him on Tosh.0 with his sketch group, WOMEN, or heard him telling stories on KCRW. But up on the podium at Amoeba's monthly charity aution is where he really shined. His extremely dry and droll sense of humor had the shoppers and onlookers chuckling under their collectives breaths and looking over at each other as if to say, "Wait, did he just say what I think he said?"
Silverlake Conservatory is a non-profit organization, created in 2001 to fill a void in the cultural landscape of the community. They offer the people in the area the opportunity to study music with exceptional teachers at a reasonable price, while also donating lessons and instruments to deserving children. They will also be the Hollywood store’s RECORD STORE DAY beneficiary for our prize wheel and the live silkscreening.
Dave Ross helped us raise a great amount of money, all going directly to music education for needy kids and families in Silver Lake and Echo Park, via Silverlake Conservatory!
Highlights from the auction included:
- Urban Outfitters Gift Certificate. $30.00
- Trader Joe's Gift Certificate & cool vintage lunchbox (Sesame Street). $55.00
- Passes to Natural History Museum of Los Angeles. $20.00
- Brew CafÃƒ© gift card + Amoeba coffee mug. $15.00
– Tickets to see Crystal Castles @ Hollywood Palladium. $41.00
– Tickets to see Shuggie Otis @ El Rey. $28.00
- Amoeba VIP in-store passes to show of your choice! (Jump the line for signing and watch from up front.) $50.00
- Passes to see movies at Sundance Cinemas Sunset 5. $15.00
- BEATLES TOTE BAG and SPECIAL ITEMS (beatles mug, t-shirt, keychain, mcartney live at amoeba poster...) $25.00
- Special LIMITED EDITION RECORD STORE DAY GOODIE BAG: limited edition 45s and vinyl and cool promo items. $75.00
- Fidlar poster and beer cozy. $5.00
- Gram Parsons / Flying Burrito Brothers anniversary package. $25.00
- -William Shatner book, signed! $14.00
- Silverlake Conservatory gift certificate and tote bag with t-shirts. $65.00
There were also some very kind and warm moments of people sharing what they had won, and THREE people donated even more than they had bid. It was a great day at Amoeba today, the vibe was so good and we can't wait for next month.
ALL TOGETHER the bids totaled $506. With our Amoeba Match, we raised $1,016.00 for Silverlake Conservatory!
Our next Charity Auction takes place Saturday, May 4th (Cuatro de Mayo) at 4pm with special guest Auctioneer Gustavo Arellano. In his new book, nationally syndicated columnist, bestselling author of Ask a Mexican! and DJ extrordinario, Gustavo Arellano presents a tasty trip through the history and culture of Mexican food in the US, with his latest, Taco USA: How Mexican Food Conquered America.
May Auction proceeds will go to The Youth Orchestra of Los Angeles. YOLA changes lives – one child, one family, one community at a time.Through Gustavo Dudamel's Youth Orchestra LA (YOLA) program – inspired by Venezuela's revolutionary El Sistema – the LA Phil and its community partners provide free instruments, intensive music training, and academic support to students from underserved neighborhoods, enabling every child to contribute using their full potential.
And, as always, Amoeba will match all individual donations up to $1000.