The Oscar Nominees were just announced this morning at 5:30 AM. I seriously can't believe some of these nominees. And I am seriously blown away that Ben Affleck and Kathryn Bigelow were not nominated for Best Director. I know that a lot of people are freaking out right now. I knew that Cloud Atlas would get nothing but I was really hoping a miracle could happen but it did not. The acting categories were all pretty much what we had expected. See how Jackie and I did with our predictions below. I put a "J" for Jackie and a "B" for Brad if we predicted the correct nominee. I gave us a lower case "j" and a lower case"b" if we picked it as one of our strong possiblities...
Best motion picture of the year
- “Amour” B J
- “Argo” B J
- “Beasts of the Southern Wild” b J
- “Django Unchained” B J
- “Les Misérables” B J
- “Life of Pi” B J
- “Lincoln” B J
- “Silver Linings Playbook” B J
- “Zero Dark Thirty” B J
BRAD=8 OUT OF 9 + 1 POSSIBILITY
Moonrise Kingdom missing out in the 9 picks. It should have been 10 nominees!
Achievement in directing
- “Amour” Michael Haneke b
- “Beasts of the Southern Wild” Benh Zeitlin
- “Life of Pi” Ang Lee B j
- “Lincoln” Steven Spielberg B J
- “Silver Linings Playbook” David O. Russell J
BRAD=2 OUT OF 5 + 1 POSSIBILITY
David O. Russell & Benh Zeitlin somehow beats Bigelow, Affleck & Tarantino for directing jobs that are not near as good. But I am so happy that Michael Haneke made it into this category!
Performance by an actor in a leading role
- Bradley Cooper in “Silver Linings Playbook” b J
- Daniel Day-Lewis in “Lincoln” B J
- Hugh Jackman in “Les Misérables” B J
- Joaquin Phoenix in “The Master” B j
- Denzel Washington in “Flight” B J
JACKIE=4 OUT OF 5 + 1 POSSIBILITY
I was really hoping that John Hawkes or Jean-Louis Trintignant would replace Bradley Cooper!
Performance by an actress in a leading role
- Jessica Chastain in “Zero Dark Thirty” B J
- Jennifer Lawrence in “Silver Linings Playbook” B J
- Emmanuelle Riva in “Amour” B
- Quvenzhané Wallis in “Beasts of the Southern Wild” b J
- Naomi Watts in “The Impossible” B J
JACKIED=4 OUT OF 5
I am so happy that Emmanuelle made it into this category. But am a bit surprised that Quvenzhane took the place of Marion Cotillard. And I am of course bummed that Jennifer Lawrence made it into this category. But obviously she was going to.
Performance by an actor in a supporting role
- Alan Arkin in “Argo” B J
- Robert De Niro in “Silver Linings Playbook” b J
- Philip Seymour Hoffman in “The Master” B J
- Tommy Lee Jones in “Lincoln” B J
- Christoph Waltz in “Django Unchained” B j
BRAD=4 OUT OF 5 + 1 POSSIBILITY
I really wanted Leonardo Di Caprio & Samuel L. Jackson to join Christoph Waltz in this category. I am bummed that SLP was able to get each of the four acting nominations!
Performance by an actress in a supporting role
- Amy Adams in “The Master” B J
- Sally Field in “Lincoln” B J
- Anne Hathaway in “Les Misérables” B J
- Helen Hunt in “The Sessions” B J
- Jacki Weaver in “Silver Linings Playbook”
JACKIE=4 OUT OF 5
I was really hoping for Ann Dowd to surprise everybody and show up in this movie. I do like Jackie Weaver. I just don't like the movie she was in.
- “Argo” Screenplay by Chris Terrio B J
- “Beasts of the Southern Wild” Screenplay by Lucy Alibar & Benh Zeitlin b j
- “Life of Pi” Screenplay by David Magee B j
- “Lincoln” Screenplay by Tony Kushner B J
- “Silver Linings Playbook” Screenplay by David O. Russell B J
JACKIE=3 OUT OF 5 + 2 POSSIBILITIES
- “Amour” Written by Michael Haneke B J
- “Django Unchained” Written by Quentin Tarantino B J
- “Flight” Written by John Gatins b J
- “Moonrise Kingdom” Written by Wes Anderson & Roman Coppola B j
- “Zero Dark Thirty” Written by Mark Boal B J
JACKIE=4 OUT OF 5 + 1 POSSIBILITY
I am so disappointed that Perks Of Being A Wallflower did not get nominated for best adapted screenplay. Silver Linings Playbook had such a horrible and predictable script. But I am so happy that Moonrise Kingdom, Django Unchained and Amour all got nominated for original screenplay.
Best animated feature film of the year
- “Brave” Mark Andrews and Brenda Chapman B J
- “Frankenweenie” Tim Burton B
- “ParaNorman” Sam Fell and Chris Butler B
- “The Pirates! Band of Misfits” Peter Lord b
- “Wreck-It Ralph” Rich Moore B J
JACKIE=2 OUT OF 5
BRAD=38 out of 49 correct
+8 strong possibility choices=46 out of 49 correct
JACKIE=36 out of 49 correct
+6 strong possibility choices=42 out of 49 correct
I came out on top this year. Jackie beat me in the predictions last year. Both Jackie and I got 4 out of 5 correct in most categories and we almost always picked the fifth nomination with our strong possibility choice. Jackie made a mistake with picking some foreign picks in the animated category. And we both really messed up in the director category with only getting 2 correct and 1 strong possibility. I would have gotten 48 out of 49 If Bigelow and Affleck had been nominated for best director like everyone expected! And I could have gotten 49 out of 49 correct if I had picked Jackie Weaver as a strong possibility for Best Supporting Actress!
Here is the nominations tally...
LIFE OF PI=11
ZERO DARK THIRTY=5
The Golden Globes are this Sunday January 13th and the Oscars are on Sunday February 24th.