In French with English subtitles.
Catherine Deneuve's porcelain perfection hides a cracked interior in the actress’s most iconic role: Séverine, a Paris housewife who begins secretly spending her afternoon hours working in a bordello. This surreal and erotic late-sixties daydream from provocateur for the ages Luis Buñuel isan examination of desire and fetishistic pleasure (its characters’ and its viewers’), as well as a gently absurdist take on contemporary social mores and class divisions. Fantasy and reality commingle in this burst of cinematic transgression, which was one of Buñuel’s biggest hits.
- Starring: Catherine Deneuve, Michel Piccoli, Jean Sorel
- Format: Color, Widescreen
- Language: English
- Aspect Ratio: 1.77:1
- Number of Discs: 1
- Rating: R
- Label: The Criterion Collection
- Run Time: 100 minutes
- Catalogue #: 2100
- Audio commentary featuring Michael Wood, author of the BFI Film Classics book Belle De Jour
- New video piece featuring writer and sexual-politics activist Susie Bright and film scholar Linda Williams
- New interview with screenwriter Jean-Claude Carriere Segment from the French television program Cinema featuring interviews with Carriere and actress Catherine Deneuve
- Original and rerelease trailers
- Booklet featuring an essay by critic Melissa Anderson and a 1970s interview with director Luis Bunuel